So my brand-new-to-me 850T spewed a choking smoke out from under the starter just after I bought it. A call to Jim Barron at Rose Farm Classics gave me the info I needed.
Buy a starter at EME — Euro MotoElectrics they are awesome, and will be super helpful over the phone if needed.
Buy a new starter relay just about anywhere. I got one like this:
- 12V 30/40 Amp DC 5Pin Car SPDT Automotive Power Relay with Wires Harness Socket
A quick check at “This old Tractor” on Greg Bender’s site gave me the wiring for the Relay:
850 T starter relay electrical connections
- Relay terminal 30 – Brown wire from fuse box
- Relay terminal 85 – White/black wire from handlebar mounted starter button
- Relay terminal 86 – Brown wire from terminal 30
- Relay terminal 87 – Red wire to starter solenoid
There’s so much good information on Greg Bender’s site — Go there and get lost in it.