Custom 1948 Harley-Davidson EL61

This is from the site Bring a Trailer (https://bringatrailer.com/) ...

This 1948 Harley-Davidson EL61 was inherited by the seller from the estate of his father 10 years ago and subsequently rebuilt in the style of an early post-war bobber by Deuce H Moto and Walker Smith Speed Shop. The bike is powered by a rebuilt 69ci V-twin with a 4-speed hand-shifted transmission and features burnished metal bodywork, an oil rubbed frame, and custom leather seat in addition to an upgraded carburetor, intake manifold, clutch, exhaust, and brakes. Dubbed “The Ace Of Burden,” this Panhead custom has been ridden approximately 100 miles since completion of the build and is offered with a clean Virginia title in the seller’s name. The build took placed on a modified 1952 hardtail frame fitted with a small fuel tank and abbreviated rear fender. Finishes consist of hand-burnished iron, Parkerized steel, and aluminum with brass, bronze, nickel, and stainless trim. The 18″ wheels are the only painted items and are mounted with Firestone tires. The headlight is made of cast brass with a weathered patina, and a tail light is mounted to the left of the rear axle. The springer forks are replica Harley-Davidson XA units, while braking is from a Suzuki GSX-R master cylinder mounted under the transmission, a hydraulic rear disc operated by the stock mechanical linkage, and a replica front drum. The throttle and front brake cables have been replaced. The custom leather seat wears a skull motif, and a canvas tool bag is attached to the frame. The seller estimates that fewer than 100 miles have been covered since completion of the build, though no instrumentation is provided. The Panhead V-twin was rebuilt with sleeved barrels and polished oversized pistons to increase displacement from 61 to 69 cubic inches. The cylinder heads were ported and polished, and the valve guides, springs, and collars modified for modern valves and seals. Induction is via an S&S Super E Shorty carburetor with a deflector fabricated from a sawmill blade and mounted to a Harolds “Panifold” intake with modern O-rings. The short exhaust pipes were reportedly matched to the intake and are covered in header wrap. The 4-speed transmission is a 1953 unit that was rebuilt, modified for improved lubrication, and fitted with a jockey shifter fabricated from a vise handle. The foot-operated clutch is a diaphragm unit mounted in the stock basket, while both chain sprockets were chosen to achieve an ideal RPM range for the 18″ wheels. A write-up from the seller describing the project in detail is provided in the gallery below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *